Friday, February 21, 2014

How do you store and display books at your house?

This photo (courtesy of BAF Photography) showcases one of our favorite parts of B's nursery -- his bookshelf.  We kind of fell into this bookshelf by accident.  It's the kind of shelf you might find in a preschool classroom, and yes, it was in my classroom a few years ago!  But it just didn't fit the space.  And so, with the very generous permission of my boss, it made its way to our home.

I have to confess that I never loved this bookshelf in my classroom.  I found that the kids were constantly knocking books down and I was constantly putting them away.  But a nursery with one little baby is much different than a room full of rambunctious four year old children!

I really feel that having books this front and center in B's room has encouraged his interest in reading.  He can easily take books out on his own, and he is even beginning to put them away now.  He is able to see them all and to choose what he wants to read (independently or with a parent).  I like the bookshelf much better now!  I will say that we are (obviously) big book collectors, and we can't keep all of B's books on this shelf.  So it is lucky that we have some overflow storage areas.

How about you?  Where do you keep books in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment