While this hardcover collection of songs, nursery rhymes, lap bounces, and finger plays is not terribly sturdy, it is a delightful collection that caregivers and infants and toddlers will enjoy again and again. Clare Beaton's illustrations are painstakingly created with antique fabrics and exude charm and nostalgia. The book arrives with a CD of the poems and rhymes. The CD is a great bonus to the book and an additional way for your child to enjoy it, but not my favorite of B's music options. Small notes on each page teach parents the movements to each rhyme. This book would make a great baby gift!
Who Loves It:
Infants and toddlers and those who care for them -- this is a great book for songs to sing while bouncing a smiley baby on your lap. This is also a great resource for early childhood teachers.
Why We Love It:
- Gorgeous illustrations
- Nursery rhymes support phonemic awareness
- Parents and caregivers can use this book to learn songs and lap bounces that children will enjoy again and again, long after the book is put away
- Suggested movements for each rhyme will help engage active children in reading
- Let an older toddler or preschool age look at the book while listening to the CD
- Learn a couple of the lap bounces or finger plays well, and enjoy them while you are stuck trying to entertain a wiggly toddler in line at the grocery store, at the doctor's office, etc.