We have the gift set shown above, which would be a sweet gift for a toddler or younger preschool aged child. I like to hide the bear and then pull it out once we get to the page with the bear! This is a great book to share with children of multiple ages, and both the small board book edition and the larger hardcover have their merits.
Who Loves It:
Children ages 1 to 5 and their caregivers will enjoy sharing this together.
Why We Love It:
- Repetitive chant invites young children to chime in
- Onomatopoeia encourages children to build phonemic awareness
- Strong rhythm makes it a fun read for all ages
- Strong use of positional vocabulary (over, under, through, up, down) helps to teach important early math concepts
- Younger toddlers will enjoy finding their own eyes, ears, and nose once the bear is found
- Hide a teddy bear while you are reading, and take it out when the bear is found in the cave. Chase around your little one and tickle!
- Invite older toddlers and preschool aged children to chime in as you read.
- Preschool aged children might enjoy acting this one out. Try adding "bear hunt" props, such as a backpack, binoculars, or a safari hat. Create a cave with blankets and furniture.
- Create sensory bins that represent the various parts of the family's journey: water for the river, cotton balls for snow, Easter grass for the long, swishy grass.